Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Day 4 - Zion National Park

Wednesday - This was the day we planned to go to Zion's!  We all caravanned there and it took us just over an hour.  Once there, we had to all decide what hikes everyone wanted to do.  The older kids and braver adults (or adults without little kids) decided to hike up to Angel's Landing.  This is quite a long, dangerous hike (with only chains to hold onto for the top section).  The warning specifically says, "Those with a fear of height should NOT attempt this hike."  Why did I not heed this warning??  I clearly did not know what I was getting myself into when I decided to give Angel's Landing a try.  I won't go on and on about the sheer terror I experienced, or the fact that I honestly thought I was going to fall to my death, but I will just say that it was the scariest thing I've ever done.  I did NOT know that we'd be walking across a tiny width of rock with nothing but 1000's of feet of cliff on either side of us.  I was unaware.  I should have heeded the warning.  But I made it!  I did not enjoy the beautiful scenery, since I looked only where my foot needed to step next.  But look at the amazing pictures!!  Thankfully somebody took pictures from up there.  
Those with small children decided to do the Emerald Pools hike, and they were nice enough to let Ella and Ruby tag along.  It was much more their speed.  And so pretty, too! Those red rock mountains are really incredible.  It was a lot colder than any of us thought it would be, so they didn't last quite as long as those of us who were forced to walk toward our deaths on Angel's Landing.   

The Emerald Pools group had some time at the lodge to hang and play games (lots of Duck Duck Goose and challenges led by Uncle Blake) while waiting for the Angel's Landing crew.  

We all headed back to St. George and had dinner reservations at The Pasta Factory.  Then we all went to Nielsen's for some frozen custard (a St. George tradition). YUMMM! Carson tried to drink his, and it got all over his face.  He was actually laughing about it, until Stephanie tried to take his picture....then he started a Carson-esque freak out (which actually made for a funnier picture....sorry Bug). Another great day!!    














































No comments: