Saturday, May 1, 2010

Scouts


It has been an event filled few months in Scouts for Spencer. In February we had the Pinewood Derby, which is always the highlight of the year for Cub Scouts. We have steadily improved in our car making ability each year, and this year Bryan was determined to peak! Our car really did quite well, I have to say. We patterned this year's car after a red Mustang with white racing stripes and we named it The Red Rocket (after Bryan's beloved BMW wagon in Germany). Our past cars have been The Carlson Cruiser (we made Spencer use it for two years...lame, I know), then the Texas Turbo last year. The Rocket was definitely our fastest car, and we ended up in a tie for third place. We kept racing to break the tie, but these cars were honestly the exact same speed! So it was exciting - especially not to be eliminated in the first race like last year!

Next came the Blue and Gold Banquet in March. This year they had a Father/Son cake decorating contest. And I was determined to stay out of it!! Unfortunately, with the week of night flying that Bryan had to do, it ended up being a Mother/Son project out of necessity. At least Bryan was able to make it to the dinner! Didn't our little cake turn out cute? It was actually kind of a fun little project to work on together, and the kids and I had fun thinking of different things we could put on there to make it more "Scouty." It won one of the prizes that night, and I'm sure there were some grumbling parents because MOM helped!! Oh well! Spencer also received his Webelos patch that night, which was very exciting.


But nothing like the excitement of April's Pack Meeting, where Spencer received his Arrow of Light. For non-Scouters out there, the Arrow of Light is the highest award a Cub Scout can earn, and the only award from cubs that is worn on the Boy Scout uniform. Thankfully we've had some amazing Scout leaders here and they really should receive the credit for helping Spencer achieve this. But way to go little Spence!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Nice work Spencer! I can't believe you brought in the "ringer" for the father-son cake contest!! :)