The kids are back in school! The boys started up on the 24th of August, and Ella just started her new pre-school class this past Tuesday. Spencer is now in the 5th grade - the last year of Elementary School! - and Tyler is in 2nd grade. And oh man was it rough going back!! This summer was really fun, and none of us were ready for it to end. And I know there are some of you out there thinking, "It sure is nice to have the kids back in school! Now I can have my life back!" But I'm not one of them. Here are my reasons: #1. The early get-up, and rush rush rush to get out the door. We're not huge sleeper-iners, but it's just nice to get up and take your time through the morning. #2. THE HOMEWORK!!!! The boys get home from school at 3:00, and by about 2:45 I'm already starting to panic. Homework is about to start!! And it's not just the homework. It's just the fact that we only have from 3:00 - 8:00 to have a snack, chat about their day, TCB (potty time), do homework, practice piano, do chores, get some exercise, cook and eat dinner, clean up after dinner, go to piano lesson OR scouts OR soccer practice, take baths/showers, read scriptures, read books, have the kids read (aloud and silent), and then be in bed by 8:00. You see the reason for my panic??? On most days it is nothing short of a miracle if it all gets done! But anyway...they are back in school, and we are doing it. Ella is back at her same pre-school this year, just in the older grade. She goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and she loves it. And I feel I should mention a funny little trend that Ella has been showing. Namely, her insistence and persistence about what she wears and how her hair is done. It drives me crazy that she refuses to wear half the clothes in her closet because "the skirts don't twirl," "it's not pretty," or, yes, even "it's lame!" I absolutely had to force and bribe her to wear the most darling outfit that I bought for her 4 year old pictures, and she has refused to wear it ever since. She wants to only wear dresses or skirts, and only ones that twirl. And if she is wearing shorts, by chance, and Ruby happens to wear a skirt...oh my!! Tears, thrashing, the whole bit. She also now dictates to me how she wants her hair done. Curly with a bow; two low pig-tails; a bun; one pig-tail with only part of her hair; a braid; a twist; a clip; a headband; and nothing. That girl knows what she likes!!
Thursday, September 10, 2009
The kids are back in school!
The kids are back in school! The boys started up on the 24th of August, and Ella just started her new pre-school class this past Tuesday. Spencer is now in the 5th grade - the last year of Elementary School! - and Tyler is in 2nd grade. And oh man was it rough going back!! This summer was really fun, and none of us were ready for it to end. And I know there are some of you out there thinking, "It sure is nice to have the kids back in school! Now I can have my life back!" But I'm not one of them. Here are my reasons: #1. The early get-up, and rush rush rush to get out the door. We're not huge sleeper-iners, but it's just nice to get up and take your time through the morning. #2. THE HOMEWORK!!!! The boys get home from school at 3:00, and by about 2:45 I'm already starting to panic. Homework is about to start!! And it's not just the homework. It's just the fact that we only have from 3:00 - 8:00 to have a snack, chat about their day, TCB (potty time), do homework, practice piano, do chores, get some exercise, cook and eat dinner, clean up after dinner, go to piano lesson OR scouts OR soccer practice, take baths/showers, read scriptures, read books, have the kids read (aloud and silent), and then be in bed by 8:00. You see the reason for my panic??? On most days it is nothing short of a miracle if it all gets done! But anyway...they are back in school, and we are doing it. Ella is back at her same pre-school this year, just in the older grade. She goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and she loves it. And I feel I should mention a funny little trend that Ella has been showing. Namely, her insistence and persistence about what she wears and how her hair is done. It drives me crazy that she refuses to wear half the clothes in her closet because "the skirts don't twirl," "it's not pretty," or, yes, even "it's lame!" I absolutely had to force and bribe her to wear the most darling outfit that I bought for her 4 year old pictures, and she has refused to wear it ever since. She wants to only wear dresses or skirts, and only ones that twirl. And if she is wearing shorts, by chance, and Ruby happens to wear a skirt...oh my!! Tears, thrashing, the whole bit. She also now dictates to me how she wants her hair done. Curly with a bow; two low pig-tails; a bun; one pig-tail with only part of her hair; a braid; a twist; a clip; a headband; and nothing. That girl knows what she likes!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ditto on the feelings of being back in school. It's the rushing... the rushing drives me crazy. We are rushing from the second we wake up and it doesn't stop until they lay their sweet little heads down at night. I can't wait for fall break!
I'm feeling your pain.....except on the other end. The first month of school is seriously rough!!
And again, I would like to thank Ella for passing along her craziness for "twirly dresses" onto my daughter!
Amen! When mine were younger I couldn't wait for summer break and I hated for them to go back (well, except for the opportunity to shop for school supplies which I LOVE)...it hasn't gotten any easier either.
In the picture of the children at the top of your blog it looks like Ruby is throwing up gang signs. We thought that was pretty funny. Little Ruby gettin gangsta.
I wore a dress every day for the whole year I was in kindergarten. It's just a girl thing.
-Catherine
Post a Comment