Monday, April 20, 2009

Spencer's Backwards Party




Spencer finally got to have his birthday party this past weekend! It has been quite a chore finding a weekend that we could have it, for some reason, and so last weekend it was. He had a backwards party, which was RIGHT ON for 10 year old boys! They got so into the theme - backwards dressing, talking, games, food. You name it...it was backwards! It was also quite fun to plan, and the build up for the kids was almost as fun as the party (and afterward too...I saw some of the boys laughing about the party yesterday when they saw each other). So fun stuff. So in my planning, I encountered a lot of great ideas online. Several of them I copied (such as the "7-down" for the drink - a 7-up can, upside down, with a hole stabbed into the bottom and a straw. Brilliant! And a major hit.). But several of my ideas came right from my brain - such as the upside-down chin faces (the boy's favorite party game). But I just couldn't think of how to do a backwards pinata. Several suggestions I found online were kind of lame I thought - hang a regular pinata upside down, have the kids tape candy onto a balloon and take it home. I mean, these ideas were OK, but I felt like I could come up with something better. So I was at the store and there were all these miniature pinatas for sale. Evidently this is something that is used for San Antonio's "Fiesta" somehow (which is some giant party downtown, from what I hear). So then it hits me...the best pinata idea ever! Each kid will have their own mini pinata that they will use to hit the hanging bat! Doesn't that sound like a great idea? Well, I thought it was genius! OK, well, if you watch the following video you will see that it didn't quite work as I had planned. I just about singlehandedly broke skulls and windows with this genius idea. It was quite unexpected, and frankly quite frightening! But aside from this funny turn of events in the pinata crushing, you have GOT to see my husband in this video. You'll have to look close. He is in the background (wearing his Thailand shirt, of course) and he appears to be standing guard, protecting our new grass from stray bits of candy or pinata. So all of you who know and love my dear husband - who have seen him vacuuming as company drives away, who have witnessed the urge to clean just take over all his good senses - you are really, really going to enjoy watching this. I was CRYING I was laughing so hard. Oh Bry...oh Bry.

7 comments:

Krista said...

Loved the video. That was hilarious! I could just picture all the boys knocked out cold on the ground by the swinging bat. And even if they had you'd still be the "cool mom"!!! I can hear them saying, "Yeah, we were at Spencer's birthday party and it was so cool. There was this bat and we hit our pinata with it and it came back and knocked me out. It was so cool!" Boys!

Stephanie said...

That is so funny.....I don't know which is better, the swinging metal bat coming right at a group of children or your husband, in the midst of chaos, picking up garbage off the patio!!

kidding...right? said...

One of these days I'm going to throw a good party and I'm going to be coming to you for ideas. What a fun mom you are! I quite enjoyed the video. Too funny!

The Jensen 6 said...

So I planned to see Bryan picking his nose or doing the "Double Clap" to one of the kids, but Tyler called it right away! I told him there was a video on your blog with Bryan doing something funny in the background during a birthday party and he said, "He's probably got the vacuum out!" Pretty dang close! Only Bryan. We loved it! It was not so long ago that he was pulling out the vacuum before we could pull out of your driveway!...And the pinata thing was pretty funny too!

Valerie said...

Happy Birthday Spencer!! Your mom has always been so creative with birthday parties! I hope you had a great time!
Kacee, I can't believe how big your girls are now! It hasn't even been a year! or has it? You all look great!!
we miss you over here in Germany!!

Jeri Ann said...

Funny stuff. I don't know that I really knew this about Bryan. I am afraid he can't come to my house! Ever!! He would have a nervous breakdown! That looks like such a FUN party! The chins... oh goodness! It took me right back to "Sunday Fun!!" You are a fun mom, like I am surprised!! Love you!

Adventures in Petersonland said...

LOL! i was dying over your video. but man, you are one creative mama with those fun birthday party ideas! what a sweet idea to have a backwards party. did you play some criss cross too? you know, those 90's rappers that wore their clothes backwards?! nevermind...
glad to see you guys are doing awesome in texas.