A couple of weekends ago I was able to take a seriously cool ride. The spouses in our squadron were invited to go up in a KC-135 tanker and watch the F-16s from our squadron refuel. I have tried to do this on several other occasions, but have either been too pregnant or had a newborn. So here was my chance! Bryan's parents watched the kids, and Bryan was scheduled to be the first jet on the tanker. Of course I took my Dramamine, which was a good thing since two of the other wives got sick! So first of all, I got to lie back on the mat where the boom operator works for take-off. That was quite a sight to behold, especially for somebody who is deathly afraid of heights. I was literally watching the ground disappear as we took off, similar to looking out a glass bottom boat, and as we taxied down the runway my face was only feet above the ground. A little frightening, but cool nonetheless. Before the jets arrived, I was able to steer the boom around - kind of fun - and then the waiting began. They kept talking about "Snake 1" being late to the refuel, and of course I knew that was Bryan. So, as luck would have it, his wingman had to ground abort and so Bryan had to give up his jet for somebody who needed a checkride for that sortie. Boo hoo!! That was the only disappointment of the day, however, because it was amazing in every other way. You could literally see the faces of the pilots! All friends of ours. So it was just cool to see what my husband does for work each day. Seriously? He is getting paid for this??
Thursday, April 9, 2009
My very cool ride
A couple of weekends ago I was able to take a seriously cool ride. The spouses in our squadron were invited to go up in a KC-135 tanker and watch the F-16s from our squadron refuel. I have tried to do this on several other occasions, but have either been too pregnant or had a newborn. So here was my chance! Bryan's parents watched the kids, and Bryan was scheduled to be the first jet on the tanker. Of course I took my Dramamine, which was a good thing since two of the other wives got sick! So first of all, I got to lie back on the mat where the boom operator works for take-off. That was quite a sight to behold, especially for somebody who is deathly afraid of heights. I was literally watching the ground disappear as we took off, similar to looking out a glass bottom boat, and as we taxied down the runway my face was only feet above the ground. A little frightening, but cool nonetheless. Before the jets arrived, I was able to steer the boom around - kind of fun - and then the waiting began. They kept talking about "Snake 1" being late to the refuel, and of course I knew that was Bryan. So, as luck would have it, his wingman had to ground abort and so Bryan had to give up his jet for somebody who needed a checkride for that sortie. Boo hoo!! That was the only disappointment of the day, however, because it was amazing in every other way. You could literally see the faces of the pilots! All friends of ours. So it was just cool to see what my husband does for work each day. Seriously? He is getting paid for this??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
So glad you got to go up in a tanker! It's so cool! Too bad you didn't get to see Bryan, but to be honest I don't even remember if I saw Kevin or not on my tanker ride. r
All of these years, that is the one thing I've not been able to do yet! Isn't it always the way, you're there you're ready, and the spouse is no where to be seen! :)
That is really cool! I think I would have been one of the sick ones.
Totally jealous!! I would love to go on a flight like this! One day!! Great pictures.
That is so cool! When Justin was flying the C-17 we were able to go on spouses flights of the C-17, but we never got to go in a 135 and watch the C-17 refuel. That would've been cool!
Post a Comment