Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Spencer!!



Happy Birthday Spencer! My first baby is now ten years old. Double digits! That makes me feel really old! Well, Spencer is a great boy. He is fun to be with, fun to talk to, and is as imaginative as they come. As a typical first child, he is not sure he wants to grow up and lucky for him his parents usually forget that they should probably treat him a little bit older. What can you do? He is as blind as a bat (if Spencer was here, however, he would correct me and say that it's a common misconception but actually bats aren't really blind), as skinny as a rail (62 pounds!), and is double jointed in most of his limbs (thus the crazy Kung Fu flailing). Spencer loves babies, and is such a great helper with Ruby. Homework is the bane of his existence, and weekends and free time are the purpose of life. Since the day he could utter his first word, Spencer has had obsessions. He will just get completely consumed with an idea or a movie or a sport, and his mind refuses to leave this obsession for any reason (schoolwork is especially bothersome). I'm sure many of you remember some of the past obsessions: magic potions, magic wands, Ariel, mermaids in general, flying (not in a plane), Kung Fu, ballroom dancing, and football - just to name a few! I look back at past Christmas letters and just crack up remembering some of his past obsessions (I just read 2002, and Spencer was apparently crazy about the flag and the National Anthem that year). So, Spencer is always busy putting us to work on a scheme of some kind. But we love that kid! He's a wonderful boy. Happy Birthday SB Machine!!

5 comments:

Stiles Family-mostly Kristen said...

Happy Birthday Buddy! We remember when you were just a little guy. You have grown a lot since then!

kidding...right? said...

Your blog looks cute. I like the new background. Doesn't it seem like yesterday when we were in Jeri Ann's basement apartment, Spencer was a baby in the high chair and JD and I had only been married a few months. Crazy!

Samantha said...

Oh Spencer, 10! I remember seeing him crawl so fast through the T-bolt bar that flames were shooting up out of the ground. By the way like your background, copycat.

Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Spencer! I've been happy to be a part of some of his obsessions.....garbage bag mermaid tail in Grandma's pool, helping to locate dragon scales, to name a few....
Are you officially at the end of your spring birthday craziness??

The State of Our Family said...

Hey there. It had been a while since I checked your blog. It is so fun to catch up with old friends. Your kids are just adorable. I can only imagine all the fun you have with April 1 being your oldest son's birthday. :)