Saturday, May 22, 2010

Spring Sports

We just finished a very fun and busy season of Spring sports for the kids. Spencer and Ella decided that they wanted to play soccer again this season, but Tyler really wanted to try football. He usually plays baseball in the Spring, but since there are only three seasons of sports per year (summer doesn't count...it's too hot) and he wanted to play four sports - we made him choose. And he chose football! Unfortunately the only league that offered tackle football in the Spring was a much bigger city league, and so the games and practices were 30 minutes away - and the opposite direction of the other kids games! So it was a very eventful and action packed Spring, to say the least!

(Ella Yelling "GO LAVA!!!!" for her team cheer.)


So first I'll start with little Ella. This season I really wanted to coach her team, since it was a group of 10 girls - all friends of Ella's. But with Bryan's busy Spring schedule - namely him being gone for 2 1/2 weeks - I knew it wasn't possible. So another dad was conned into taking charge, with me being his assistant. It was great! I loved the coaching, and those girls were just too cute. And never underestimate a team of 10 girls, either...even in a co-ed league. The didn't lose a game, and usually scored around 15 goals per game. Now Ella has always been a decent little player, but has always been content to run around in the middle of the pack smiling. Right around the middle of the road, I would say. Well, the last three games of the season, something clicked. She was amazing!! She scored 5 goals in her game yesterday! She was an animal! I can't tell you how fun it was to see her tearing it up out there. Way to go Ella!


Next up...Tyler. What a little stud. Tyler decided to go with the nickname of "Lightning" on his uniform (even though this isn't really a nickname of his at all). He wanted to go with something FAST, to strike some fear in his opponents. Well, Tyler has been playing backyard football with Spencer and Bryan for some time now, but this was his first experience with all the pads and gear. I could go on and on about his season, but I think it will suffice to say that he LOVED it!!! Absolutely loved it. His new favorite sport, new best friends, new reason for living. OK, maybe not quite that far. But he really did love it. He was really quite good for it being his first season, and he wasn't afraid out there at all. He was a fast runner, a hard hitter, and an all around great player. He was so much fun to watch!

Spencer finally got his wish and the team name that HE chose was picked for his soccer team. They were the Rattlers. Go Rattlers! Spencer played just about every position on the field, and he definitely had his strengths and weaknesses. He was much less timid and much more aggressive than in past years, and his instincts are improving. I think that he did the best as a forward, and he had some great passes and even a few shots yesterday. I was very proud of him, and of all of the kids. They worked hard and played great. And I am also very relieved that the season is OVER!!!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Love the pics......Ella's face while doing her cheer is great! Ty looks so big in that football uniform!! And did Spencer get new glasses?? Glad they all had fun and glad for you it's over!