Sunday, February 22, 2009

Captain Tyler's Buckaneer Bash





Tyler had his Pirate Party yesterday, and it was seriously fun. One of the parents asked who was having more fun, me or Tyler. What?? It's all for the kids! I did have fun breaking out my whistle (won't have an outdoor party without one) and whipping those little pirates into shape. The weather was really nice, but there was a lot of wind. So some of our pirate games had to be altered a bit. For example, in the "cannonball pop" - popping the black balloon relay - the balloons would fly away before they had to chance to sit or stomp on it! So we used pins to pop them instead. The "swab the deck" game - sweeping the balloon - had to be abandoned completely. But we still did a "peg-leg race" (three legged race) and a "hook the treasure" game (hooking giant pretzels with a Captain Hook hook). We searched for buried treasure in the playground, and then went on a treasure hunt which culminated with the treasure chest pinata. Is it just me, or do all pinatas end up in some sort of bust? Ours broke twice, and once we finally fixed it in a foolproof fashion, the rope broke! So I tore it open and threw the treasure all over the lawn and the kids were thrilled. Just enough time left for presents, cake & ice-cream, and parents were picking the kids up (except one parent who showed up about an hour late...nice). A big success all the way around! I think I'll have a month off now, and then Spencer's party will be on the 27th of March. He'll be having a Backwards Party, which he did about 2 years ago and it was so fun (and easy!). What else can you do for a crazy bunch of 10 year old boys??

5 comments:

Stiles Family-mostly Kristen said...

You are the coolest mom!! What a great party! :>

The Jensen 6 said...

Those are some seriously high-end cakes! I'm admiring your dedication to the big bash every single year. I've told my kids were cutting back except for a few big ones at certain ages. I can't keep up with you woman! I buy the ice cream cake and plop a toy on the top - hey new toy! I guess I'll look at the bright side of not being able to come to the parties at your house anymore! It would have been rough for Briggs to see the Buccaneer cake after he got one covered with strawberries despite that he asked for it! To use a phrase of Bryans..."Top shelf" parties Kacee! They're "wonderful, wonderful!"

The Jensen 6 said...

Those are some seriously high-end cakes! I'm admiring your dedication to the big bash every single year. I've told my kids were cutting back except for a few big ones at certain ages. I can't keep up with you woman! I buy the ice cream cake and plop a toy on the top - hey new toy! I guess I'll look at the bright side of not being able to come to the parties at your house anymore! It would have been rough for Briggs to see the Buckaneer cake after he got one covered with strawberries despite that he asked for it! To use a phrase of Bryans..."Top shelf" parties Kacee! They're "wonderful, wonderful!"

Stephanie said...

Serious party insanity! Looks like fun. I agree with the Jensen 6....maybe I'm glad we don't live in the same town....I don't want my kids catching wind of these parties!!

kidding...right? said...

Did you make that cake? And the games... did you just make those up? I agree, you are the coolest mom!