Friday, December 4, 2009

Thanksgiving



Thanksgiving was great this year! We were lucky enough to have my mom, step-dad, sister, and brother come down to San Antonio to spend the weekend with us, and we had a great time. I don't know why I didn't take my camera with me to the places that we went, but I guess you'll just have to trust me when I say it was fun. We actually went to SeaWorld on Thanksgiving Day, hoping that it would not be busy. It was perfect! There were actually more people there than I was expecting, but it was still not busy at all. We went to shows, rode rides, and enjoyed a great day there. On Friday we had our big Thanksgiving feast, and I'll talk more about that in a minute. But first, on Saturday we went to Six Flags in the afternoon and evening and my mom and I went to do some Christmas shopping on Saturday morning. Both were great! We got too spoiled at SeaWorld, though, because the kids really complained about having to wait in line at Six Flags for rides. But oh well. Now back to the food. Seriously, the highlight of the weekend was the food. Bryan has been researching and practicing "smoking" on his Weber grill, and so the big treat this year was the smoked turkey. He worked on it for two days - first brining the turkey with a salt/apple juice/cranberry juice mixture (plus some other spices), and then smoking it all day on Friday. He bought several different wood chunks to smoke, and he used apple wood and something else for the turkey. Oh my! That was one outstanding turkey! I mean usually turkey is a little dry, but not this bird! It was delicious. My mom and I made the pies - coconut cream, banana cream, chocolate cream, and raspberry - and they did not disappoint. I think they were the best pies I've made in a long time, so I was thrilled. YUM! Ella and my sister Mary made the cute place cards, and the boys and Masen just played and played outside. It was a really great weekend!

3 comments:

Candice said...

Cute!! Thats sounds like fun, We will be in San Antonio Dec 28-3oth we are going to Sea World also!! I Havent been there for years it looks like they have added a bunch of stuff.

kidding...right? said...

Tell Bryan that before I even read the post, I thought that was the best looking turkey I'd ever seen! What a fun weekend! What a fun day to go to Sea World.

The Jensen 6 said...

I would say that's pretty typical Bryan, but I think he even out-did himself this time! We're always just glad that ours is thawed in time and cooked through. I'm inspired to take it up a notch although I'll full-up admit that the whole bryne thing is probably more than I can aspire to!